Sample Internship Job Description
Written by Nathan Parcells at Looksharp 2016 2016
A great internship job description is clear, exciting, and helps educate students on what they will be working on, as well as the skills needed to be successful.
We use this road map for creating fantastic listings: sell the company, sell the role, share your voice, and highlight requirements.
The reason we start with selling the company is because students are new to the professional world and it's hard for them to differentiate between the hundreds of listings they see online. Even if you are a top firm it is important to re-iterate what makes you special and why students should work for your company.
Selling the position is equally important. While financial compensation is a great selling point (see our guide on intern compensation), most students care far more about the educational components of an internship and perks like on the job training in industry specific software. You can attract better talent by promoting these benefits in your internship description.
Last but not least comes describing the role. Whether you want to do this in a paragraph, with bullet points or something else entirely is up to you. A truly fantastic description, carries a voice that conveys the culture of your office, which is important because you want students to self-select in (or out) of applying based on their knowledge your company culture and work environment.
So with that in mind, feel free to download a free word version of our internship job description by clicking the button below or to simply use the version below as a guide to write your own! And remember once you have your position written you can post it on Looksharp and start hiring amazing interns!
Example: Social Media Campaign Strategy Intern
Are you obsessed with finding and sharing stories online? Do your friends look to you on Facebook and Twitter for the latest trends, ideas, and online memes? Social Media Corp is based in San Francisco and one of the premier websites for sharing online content. With over 15 million monthly unique visitors and many of the world's biggest companies, from SONY to the NFL, using the site ever day, we are looking to transform how the world discovers and promotes news.
Social Media Corp has a fast paced work environment and we seek talented employees who crave learning new skills and aren't afraid to tackle big projects. As an intern you will get to work with a variety of our staff, while working on real projects that will help us grow.
Our ideal candidate is someone who walks into a room of people and can’t leave without making a few friends. Someone who is obsessed with social media and is creative and thoughtful when interacting with online communities and building relationships.
What You Will Learn:
- How to create a long term social media plan and marketing calendar.
- Relationship building with our online community by maintaining Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other media accounts.
- How to track social media analytics using HootSuite and other software, and report results and new ideas to our marketing team.
- Create compelling content that will be shared by influencers.
- Creative feedback and viral loops between our Facebook Page, twitter, and blog accounts .
- Assist our Director of Social Media Marketing in building and presenting social media strategy.
- Plenty of additional opportunities in related projects.
What We Require:
- Background in Marketing, Communication, non-profit management or other related discipline.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite Office.
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Creative and Flexible.
- Familiarity with social networking sites desired, but we will also train.
- Interested in the issues equal access to learning resources and generally socially conscious individual
- Interest in nonprofit management and community development.
We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You will become extremely knowledgeable in online communication, a master of twitter (and Hoot Suite manager), and understanding of the right tactics to combine online marketing with overarching outreach goals in a professional setting. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with department leaders and other professionals in the non-profit and marketing field.
The position begins May 1 st and ends August 31st. You are expected to work 15 hours a week and will be paid $12/hour.
To apply please submit your application to John Doe using the apply button below.
Click below to download our free Sample Internship Posting!